These easy energy balls make a delicious and nutritious snack! You can also substitute the dried berries for other dried fruits (such as apricots, raisins, prunes etc) to get other tasty variations.
Ingredients (makes 30-40 balls)
1/3 cup seeds or nuts (sesame seeds, chia seeds, almonds, cashew etc)
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1/2 cup dried strawberries
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cup medjool dates (or use dried dates and soak in water for 15 minutes)
extra shredded coconut or seeds for rolling
1 cup cubed butternut squash
6 cloves garlic (skin on)
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 can chickpeas (discard ½the liquid and save the rest)
¼ cup raw sesame seeds
3 Tablespoons olive oil (plus more for roasting garlic)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
This chocolatey cake gets its perfectly moist texture from a secret ingredient: zucchini (also known as courgettes). The finely grated vegetable keeps the loaf from tasting dry and is a creative (and healthy) twist on a chocolate treat. I recently served this cake as part of a game of “guess the vegetable”. Definitely a crowd-pleaser.
Ingredients (makes one loaf)
1½ cups raw zucchini, finely grated (about 2 zucchinis)
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
⅓ cup oil (canola works well)
¾ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and place the rack in the middle of the oven.
2) Grease the loaf tin or use a non-stick loaf pan.
3) Finely grate the zucchini and set aside.
4) Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon in a large bowl.
5) In another bowl, whisk the eggs. Stir in the oil, sugar and vanilla. Fold in the grated zucchini.
6) Fold the wet ingredient mixture into the flour mixture. Add the chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
7) Pour the batter into the pan and bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8) Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan to cool completely.